VINTAGE MYSTERY CHALLENGE 2021
MY WRAP UP POST
The Vintage Mystery Challenge on My Reader's Block is one of my favorite challenges. The idea is to read at least eight vintage mysteries, either from the Golden Age of mysteries (those published prior to 1960) or the Silver Age of mysteries (those published from 1960 to 1989).
Each year, Bev makes some kind of game out of it. This year the game is Vintage Scattegories. Participants are to read one book from at least eight of various categories. I signed up for both the Golden Age and Silver Age to try to read 16 books.
MY VINTAGE MYSTERY CHALLENGE BOOKS - GOLD
In 2021, I read 13 vintage mysteries published before 1960. I was on a mission to read all the Father Brown books, having read the first one in December 2020 and wanting to go straight through, so Fr. Brown shows up a lot in this list.
- Colorful Crime: The Scandal of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton
- Murder by the Numbers: The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers
- Amateur Night: The Wisdom of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton
- Jolly Old England: The Secret of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton
- Dangerous Beasts: Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie
- Staging the Crime: Final Curtain by Ngaio Marsh
- Cops & Robbers: The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
- Locked Room: The Incredulity of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton
- Murder is Academic: Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers
- Repeat Offenders: Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L. Sayers
- A Mystery by Any Other Name: Funerals are Fatal by Agatha Christie (aka After the Funeral and Murder at the Gallop)
- Country House Criminals: Peril at End House by Agatha Christie
- Dynamic Duos: The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
MY VINTAGE MYSTERY CHALLENGE BOOKS - SILVER
I read 11 vintage mysteries in 2021 that were published between 1960 and 1989. Most of them were by Dick Francis because he's my favorite.
- Murder by the Numbers: Twice Shy by Dick Francis
- Amateur Night: Dead Cert by Dick Francis
- Jolly Old England: One Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters
- Yankee Doodle Dandy: Split Images by Elmore Leonard
- World Traveler: Passenger to Frankfurt by Agatha Christie
- A Calendar of Crime: March Violets by Philip Kerr
- Malicious Men: LaBrava by Elmore Leonard
- Murder is Academic: The Theban Mysteries by Amanda Cross
- Repeat Offenders: Whip Hand by Dick Francis
- Killed in Translation: The Laughing Policeman by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö
- Hobbies Can be Murder: Reflex by Dick Francis
I didn't review any of these books, so my challenge participation was minimal. But I had a terrific time reading them. I look forward to joining the 2022 version of the Vintage Mystery Challenge and will sign up soon!