SEE GIVEAWAY DETAILS BELOW
Please join me every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.
EARLY BIRDS: I am experimenting with getting this post up Thursday evening for those who like to get their posts up and linked early on. We'll try it this way for a couple of months to see if people like the option of early posting. If you have feelings one way or the other, please comment.
TWITTER, ETC: If you are on Twitter, Google+, or other social media, please post using the hash tag #BookBeginnings. I am trying to follow all Book Beginning participants on whatever interweb sites you are on, so please let me know if I have missed any and I will catch up.
MR. LINKY: Please leave a link to your post below. If you don't have a blog, but want to participate, please leave a comment with your Book Beginning.
MY BOOK BEGINNING
Voices from the dining room echo up the walnut staircase, indistinct, buzzing, intrusive.
-- The Life List by Lori Nelson Spielman
THE BOOK: "In this utterly charming debut—perfect for fans of Cecelia Ahern’s P.S., I Love You and Allison Winn Scotch’s Time of My Life — one woman sets out to complete her old list of childhood goals, and finds that her lifelong dreams lead her down a path she never expects."
This debut novel is already catching a lot of buzz. It is a quirky take on the whole "bucket list" idea. Here, the heroine is perfectly happy with her life, but when her mother dies, her inheritance is contingent on completing a list of life goals that she wrote when she was 14 years old -- Including having a baby, buying a horse, and (particularly confusing for a woman about to take over as CEO of her mother's company ) becoming a teacher.
THE GIVEAWAY: Thanks to book publicist Mary Bisbee-Beek, I have a finished paperback edition of The Life List to give away to one lucky book blogger. The really cool thing about the giveaway is that the winner will get to host another giveaway, as will the winner of that contest. It is a triple leapfrog giveaway for a total of three copies of Laurie Nelson Spielman's new novel.
The contest is for readers in the USA only (sorry) and is open until Thursday, August 1, 2013, at 4:00 PST. There are five ways to enter and each one is worth a chance to win. To enter, do any or all of the following, but you must leave a comment for each one and you must put an email address in a comment:
1. Comment on this post. You must include an email address. If I can't find a way to contact you I will draw another winner. (1 entry)
2. Blog about this giveaway. Posting the giveaway on your sidebar is also acceptable. Leave a separate comment with a link to your post. (1 entry)
3. Follow this blog with Google or NetworkedBlogs, or subscribe via email (or tell me if you already are a subscriber or follower). Leave a separate comment for this. (1 entry)
4. Tweet this post on Twitter. Leave me a separate comment with your twitter user name. (1 entry)
5. Post this on a social network. Put it on facebook, post it on Google+, pin it on Pinterest, Stumble it, digg it, reddit, or otherwise put it out there in the social network. Leave a separate comment with a link or explanation. (1 entry)
There are a lot of ways to enter (maximum of five entries), but you must LEAVE A SEPARATE COMMENT for each one or they will not count. I will use random.org to pick the winners from the comments.
This contest is open to entries from the U.S. only. The deadline for entry is 4:00 PM, Pacific Time, on Thursday, August1, 2013. I will draw and post the winner's name in my Book Beginning post going up at 5:00 PM on August 1, 2013.